Report written by:Arifa Abdul Majeed, Deputy Principal(PTA coordinator)
Presently, this situation is being addressed though a private initiative, the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) taking the lead for setting up a computer lab in the school with funding from a private benefactor, community aids, business organizations, non-governmental organizations and conducting a fundraising program. Therefore, in order to achieve this objective PTA has decided to conduct two mega programs (dinner night and a festival or carnival) for fundraising.
The aim is to install a computer lab with a minimum of 16 computers, but there is no empirical evidence that the students will be taught computer skills while the school sets up a computer lab.
Every year PTA helps to oversee the needs and development of the school. PTA helps raise funds to provide a wide range of educational enrichment programs to the students as such last year PTA’s aim was upgrade library facilities. The money we raised last year spends many activities including transportation for teachers’ day trip, library books, library tables and sports festival. The following are the short summary of PTA’s fundraising activities and expenditure as at 2010:
- 9th April dinner night (total money received RF40,719)
- Donation from business organization (RF11,400)
- Upgrade library and purchased library books (RF20,348)
- Purchased library tables (RF4,200)
- Purchased flower boques for teachers on the occasion of teachers day (RF1080)
- Transportation for teachers day trip (RF15,000)
- Spend sports festival (RF900)